

GREATER NEW YORK REGION SERVICE COMMITTEE

Minutes for September 13th, 2025

READINGS

- Serenity Prayer: meeting opened by Kat at 10 am.
- Readings: 12 Traditions & 12 Concepts
- Opening Prayer: NA Service Prayer

ROLE CALL & QUORUM

- | | |
|---|--------------------------------------|
| - RSC Chair: Kat | - Kings Bay Area RCM: Martha |
| - RSC Vice Chair: Chanterelle | - Manhattan Area RCM: Joel T. |
| - RSC Treasurer: Tom L. | - Manhattan Area RCMA: Lenee |
| - RSC Helpline/BMLT Chair: Maureen | - NYC Area RCM: Stefan |
| - RSC Webservant: Eugene | - NYC Area RCMA: Fern |
| - RSC PR Chair: Bob W. | - Open Arms Area RCM: Wanda |
| - RSO BOD Chair: Al L. | - Rockland RCM: Caleb |
| - RSO BOD Treasurer: Sandra N. | - Rockland RCMA: Max |
| - RD: Maurice | - Staten Island RCM: Frank |
| - RDA: Don | - Westchester RCM: Rodney |
| - Regional H&I Chair: Roy | - Roi (Secretary nominee) |
| - Convention Chair: Peter C. | - Babette (BOD) |
| - Convention Graphics: Gary (also BOD nominee) | - Peter H. (Visiting) |
| - Convention Treasurer: Ed W. | - Maceo (Visiting) |
| - Bronx RCM: Antoine | - Anna (BOD) |
| - Brooklyn Area RCM: Lenny | - Robert (BOD) |
| - Brooklyn Area RCMA: Lawrence | - Jerry J. (BOD) |
| - Heart of Long Island RCM: Martin | - Christina S. (Visiting) |
| | - Lou L. (Visiting) |

Quorum: 10 RCMs

Motions need to be submitted by 10:45 am

REPORTS

Chairperson

Given by Kat.

- Nothing much to report
- Convention went great

Vice Chairperson

Given by Chanterelle

- Nothing much to report, filling in as secretary

Treasurer

Given by Tom.

- Opening Balance: \$16,701.12

OLD BUSINESS

RSC Nominations

Chair— Kat, nominated by Joel

Vice Chair—Chanterelle, nominated by Joel

Secretary— Roi, nominated by Stefan

Kat wants to go ahead and appoint Roi to secretary if there is no objection as per our policy as the position needs to be filled.

No objection to the appointment.

Treasurer— Nominated by Caleb

Public Relations Chair—Bob, nominated by [inaudible]

H&I Chair—Roy W. nominated by [inaudible]

Webservant—Eugene nominated by [inaudible]

Helpline Chair—Maureen, nominated by Maurice

AREA REPORTS

Westchester

Given by Rodney

- See report for full details

Maurice: I heard something about missed commitments at some jails in your area, do you have any information about that?

No, Denise is the new H&I Chairperson

Bronx

Given by Antoine

- Not much to report, newly appointed RCM
- See report for full details

Brooklyn Area Report

Given by Lenny

- 89 groups in area, 21 group attending ASC
- H&I learning day October 11th
- See report for full details

Maureen: You have a meeting in coney island which was closed for the summer, do you know if it is reopening?

I am not sure.

Roy: When is the learning day? It had a different date beforehand.

Their tentative address was denied, so that might be why. I will know more when my area meets next week.

Heart of Long Island Area Report

Given by Martin

- Area functioning well
- Had to change banks over the last few months
- See report for full details

Kings Bay Area

Given by Martha

- Everything is going fine at area
- Annual picnic next week
- See report for full details

Maureen: There was a missing digit in one of your flyers but I have corrected it.

Manhattan

Given by Joel

- See flyers for events
- See reports for full details
- We are in the process of changing our website domain
- Finishing up his term, thanks everyone for having him

New York City

Given by Stefan

- Quite a few open positions
- See report for full details.
- New RCMA, Fern

Open Arms Area

Given by Wanda

- Meet 1st Thursday of every month corrected from report
- 37 groups in area, 1 is virtual
- Don't have a secretary so can't say how many groups attended ASC
- Requesting insurance quote
- See flyer for events & convention info

Maureen: I would like to announce that Open Arms has officially joined the helpline!

Rockland

Given by Caleb

- 18 meetings total

- 6 groups in attendance at last ASC so did not have quorum, could not do business
- Lost 2 meetings in the last two months

Maureen: Are those meetings off of the BMLT?
Yes.

Staten Island

Given by Frank

- We now have 2 checks that we sent missing, is there an alternative to mailing checks?
- See report for full details.

Tom: My understanding was that the check from March was a post office issue. To answer your other question, the alternative to mailing checks would be to donate via PayPal.

We are not crazy about donating to PayPal because of the fees.

Al: When the check doesn't cash please try to contact the treasurer. Was the last check cashed?

I believe so.

Kat: I was out of order after roll call and for got to accept last month's minutes.

Last month's minutes accepted without opposition.

BOD REPORTS

BOD Chair Report

Given by Al

- Thanks to everyone who did service at the convention
- Insurance will be renewed soon. Areas should submit for an insurance certificate
- *Impossible Dream* book issues have been straightened out, Ed has been in contact with the printer, we will be voting on the purchasing of the book on Monday
- We had a former board member contact the printer about the *Impossible Dream* book, but this is an issue we will talk about Monday, because no one who is not a board member should not contact anyone we do business with
- Convention: we have had some good responses from countries and states. It was a great financial success, some of us want to take credit for it, God has more to do with it than anything
- Want to have a members meeting to address concerns from Areas, we need to go and upgrade the policy ad guidelines for the conventions, they don't sync
- Purchased a website for the 2027 convention, can't give a report about the convention because accounts have to be separated, we are taking the brunt of the fees and this needs to be straightened out. Our two payment systems aren't syncing but I spoke to Kat and Eugene about it, we need to re-input everything back into the system.
- Members are asked to speak on issues and the board has no chance to respond, I think we need to talk about stuff at a members meeting if it is not going to be brought before the board.
- Personal issues about me have been submitted to the Region but it's not right because I have no defense, things are misinterpreted at the Region, they should be addressed at the board first.

Maureen: Did you submit a written report for us?

No not yet. I have not had time I have been slammed since the convention. Will submit it probably tomorrow.

Frank: You mentioned positive feedback from other countries, did you get any feedback from hotel?

No we have not we need to address some issues we had with them. We had some audiovisual issues, we need to meet with them and we need to have our close-out meeting so we can get our final numbers.

Bob: You said something about accusations made at the BOD meeting, but this should be included in the report. There has never been a detailed explanation or response, if the person with an issue has a voice at the BOD, then it should be addressed at the BOD. I thought the convention was great. You mentioned there was a critique, what are the concerns of the convention committee? Is there going to be a real vehicle in which real feedback can be give for the development of the 2027 convention? You stated there wasn't a vehicle for people to respond to accusations, but the board should have the ability to respond or not to.

If you have an issue with the board, come to the board instead of coming to the RSC with an issue. We can't take up time at the region to address these things. If they aren't getting resolved at the board then they can come to the RSC but we have been circumvented. Some of these things have not been going according to policy.

Bob: I heard the chair of the programming committee would not divulge the names of the speakers and one of the areas had to petition for them. That seems like an egregious act on programming, why wasn't it just put in a report?

Someone brought the issue me, I brought it to the board and we dealt with it.

Frank: What are the tentative dates and times for the members meeting?

I have gotten everyone's emails and we are going to try to get the meeting together. I'll send you an email.

Tom: Thanks for your service, the convention was great. I have a few things to address. 1. You mentioned insurance for the coming year, has the RSO put down the downpayment?

Not yet, we should be doing that soon. There will be a slight increase.

Tom: We will all need to coordinate on this. 2. You mentioned an effort to revise the policy bylaws, guidelines, etc., is the board planning on getting legal representation to assist? There are resources that exist who give pro bono assistance to non-profits. New York State law has not for profit laws wherein certain things have to exist in non-profit policies, so the board does not have free rein to change things. I can direct you to the pro bono resources. 3. Is there a suggestion box for feedback at the convention? For example, I thought the comedy show was great but could have been partitions off in that large room for better ambiance.

That's a good idea, I was thinking the same thing. I think the last time the BOD policy was revised there was a lawyer on the board.

Antoine: Another thing you can do is measure the room you are having events in based off of how many tickets are bought to provide better ambiance in a room.

Joel: The website lists the board meeting at 6 pm, but they meet at 6:30. [inaudible... something about pool membership?]

Stefan: One hiccup in the convention's registration scheme was that many people, including those who were pre-registered, had to wait almost 2 hours to get into the convention. On Saturday I arrived when registration said it would open at 9 (there was a sign), but I was not able to get into the convention until 11 am.

We talked about that. If you are pre-registered you should just be able to go in, there should be two separate lines, one for pre-registrants and one for day-of registrants. The

first day, the cash register wasn't open. We ran into some difficulties but we have learned from the issues and we will be better able to deal with the conditions that cause those problems.

Maureen: The helpline received a lot of calls about waiting on line, and about the transference of registrations that did not go through.

BOD Treasurer's Report

Given by Sandra

- Closing balance: \$77,941.32
- Ed and I are sorting out what we owe each other between BOD and convention
- See report for full details.

Convention Report

Given by Peter

- Was hoping to be able to give a final report, but we have yet to close out the convention and to get a final bill from the hotel. I will send the report to the secretary before the next regional meeting
- A lot of great feedback, thanks everyone for their service
- We paid for power at the convention but when we got there the power wasn't there
- You can send suggestions to the gmail account
- We should share feedback with the incoming committee
- There were some last minute changes, for example our permit from the city was pulled and changed the ending time of the dance from 12 am to 10 pm

Convention Treasurer's Report

Given by Ed

- We are in process of reconciling loose ends
- Looks like we were very successful from a financial point of view, we could pay for some of the standard things for the 2027 convention that we had to raise money for for the 2025 convention
- Certain funds are due to the office from the convention, we are figuring it out
- We charged a processing fee for all registrations, we need to figure out how much, we need info from processing banks
- RSO is owed money for convention because they borrowed about \$6000 from RSO.

Frank: You mentioned proceeds from the 2025 convention paying for the hotel in 2027, does that mean at the end of that convention is when positive money comes in?

No, I was saying that it looks like we made enough profit to pay for some of the standard things for 2027.

Recess for members meeting at 11:58 am

Voting for Gary for BOD

Al: You have to go through the pool member process, this nominee has not gone through the pool member process

Don: I think this might be out of order, this is the time we vote

All those in favor of Gary: 2

Opposed: 0

Abstained: 6

Gary is not elected into the BOD.

Members meeting adjourned 12:04 pm

SUBCOMMITTEE REPORTS

RD Team Report

Given by Don

- Attended NEZF virtual meeting, info and minutes can be found on their website
- Looking for any interested parties in the RD team, CAR report is coming up soon, please reach out if you are interested
- See report for full details

Maureen: The workshop you are talking about, can you put it in a report or a flyer?

Joel: There was an event that happened prior to the convention that had members full names, [inaudible] I thought our credentials are left at the door, I thought it was strange, that members full names were out there in relation to Narcotics Anonymous.

Maurice: This was made by a committee on the NEZF, the chair of NEZF was also confused and it is being addressed at the NEZF, they had the same reaction, this did not go through the steering committee, thanks for bringing it up, it was a concern.

POLICY

~~THIS POSITION IS VACANT PLEASE LET YOUR AREAS KNOW~~

Helpline/BMLT (Basic Meeting List Toolkit)

Given by Maureen O.

BMLT:

- Everyone has been cleaning up the BMLT
- Let me know if you don't have a BMLT area person, I can fill in
- We are finding people are not qualified after 2-3 months, you can also send people in as liaisons if they don't have the skills
- Let us know if your meeting is closed for even one time
- 559 meetings in region

Helpline:

- 2497 calls year to date.
- Covered 100%

Calendar

- Anything you submit will be posted on the website and calendar.
- Encourage people to take look at their area service meetings to make sure the info is up to date on the calendar

Hospitals & Institutions

Given by Roy

- No vice chair or secretary
- 7 areas in attendance last meeting

- Some learning days coming up
- See report for full details.
- There is a program of meetings virtually going into correctional facilities, seems like a good thing to learn about, I will send out more information when I have it

Antoine: Where is it?

Oct 8th, 7 pm on zoom.

Joel: Have you considered taking a poll to see when is convenient for areas? If the time isn't perhaps ideal?

Public Relations

Given by Bob

- Monthly meeting was postponed to Sept 15th because of Labor Day
- See report for full details

Webmaster

Given by Eugene

- See report for full details

Treasury Report & Closing Balance

Given by Tom L.

- Expenses: \$5601.25
- Closing balance: \$9,254.94, recommends a \$3,000 donation to NAWS.
- Insurance and donations information are on the second page of the report
- Please make sure PayPal donations are labeled as to where they are coming from
- Noted donations from areas on the reports that I have not yet received
- Insurance for this year is all paid up through September, we are moving into the next year's insurance, it is expected to go up but not very significantly. Once we get the break down from the RSO on the insurance due, we'll send out the spreadsheet and areas can start planning. You can look at the spreadsheet for today for an approximation and maybe round it up by 5% so you can plan. It is required as 25% down payment and 9 month monthly payment. Some areas pay all at once some pay over the time period allotted

Maureen: Trulio account has been decreased because of a change made by Eugene

Antoine: Bronx made an area donation to the region by check put in the RSO mailbox in August.

Tom: I have not seen it, was it made out to the RSC or the RSO?
RSC.

Tom: Was it put in the office?
Yes, Jerry put it in the box.

Jerry: it was put in closet 8, in the box, and the NYC area check is there too.

Tom: I don't have a key to closet 8, I think the RSC Closet is #7

Jerry: Mystery solved, we will sort that out!

Joel: Can you include the month or date of the NAWS donation?
Yes I can.

NEW BUSINESS

Frank: Motion to donate 3000 to news Caleb seconds. No opposition, motion passes by acclamation.

SHARING SESSION

Gary: Thank you for your time, and apologizes to RCMs for any confusion about their nominations. People on the board get pissed off, I stood up and said something at the board when something goes against policy. The not for profit will be subject to 12 traditions and concepts in the first by law. I intend to run again for a board position. I have completed my pool membership service, and it is not true that I have not. There is minimum of 3 months of pool membership required, I did it for 6 months, resigned in 2024 due to a disagreement. The board ignores the policy whenever they feel like it. If there is any confusion about my nomination the board should come forward as they are required to. I feel like my reputation in this fellowship is being tarnished

Roy: does any one have info for South Jamaica?

Kat: Yes.

Babette: It is not spiritual to not let members do service. I am concerned because I received several calls from areas that there was negative information being put out there regarding Gary's vote. That conduct is unbecoming of a recovering addict.

Peter H.: I have served this region for 35 years straight and I have mentored many people here. Joel brought up the issue of people using their last names in the NEZF, this is something that an educated person in public information should know about. Last names are a common thing in public information, we know the potential to give up our last names. It is unprofessional to send a letter to someone in a facility and not give our last names or give our credentials.

Jerry: You may not understand the intricacies of PR writing, it is normal to have last names and credentials, but the flyer should not have gone out to the public.

Alphonso: Gary did a fantastic job for artwork at our convention. Group conscience is god conscience, if the group decides on something, that means the group goes with the group conscience. So when a vote goes in and someone is having a reaction that is visible, it is offensive and it is not in the spirit of being a part of the group.

Bob W.: My gut feeling is that I don't get a good feeling from the 6 abstentions, that usually means that there isn't the right information. There is a conflict of information when the chair says they didn't fulfill their nomination and the nominee says they did, that is cause for concern. There is a need for more clarity about why this person might or might not be qualified. The reporting here has not been transparent.

Joel: I know I missed the window for a motion, but I wanted the body to consider an ad hoc for the policy and wanted to make myself available for that if needed.

Meeting closed at 1:19 pm.