

GREATER NEW YORK REGION SERVICE COMMITTEE

Minutes for May 10th, 2025

READINGS

- Serenity Prayer: meeting opened by Kat at 10 am.
- Readings: 12 Traditions & 12 Concepts
- Opening Prayer: NA Service Prayer

ROLE CALL & QUORUM

- | | |
|---|--|
| - RSC Chair: Kat | - Kings Bay Area RCM: Martha |
| - RSC Vice Chair: Chanterelle | - Manhattan Area RCM: Joel T. |
| - RSC Treasurer: Tom L. | - NYC Area RCM: Stefan |
| - RSC Helpline/BMLT Chair: Maureen | - Open Arms Area RCM: Aisha |
| - RSC Webservant: Eugene | - Rockland RCM: Caleb |
| - RSC PR Chair: Bob W. | - Rockland RCMA: Max |
| - RSO BOD Chair: Al L. | - Staten Island RCM: Frank |
| - RSO BOD Treasurer: Sandra | - Westchester RCM: Rodney |
| - RD: Maurice | - Peter H. (Visiting) |
| - RDA: Don | - Anna J. (BOD Office Manager) |
| - Regional H&I Chair: Roy | - Roberta (BOD Office Manager Assistant) |
| - Convention Vice Chair: Alphonso T. | - Sarah W. (Visiting) |
| - Convention Graphics: Gary | - Babette S. (BOD) |
| - Brooklyn Area RCM: Lenny | - Jerry J. (BOD) |
| - Brooklyn Area RCMA: Lawrence J. | - Henry W. (PI Chair—Brooklyn) |
| - Heart of Long Island RCM: Martin | |

Quorum: 9 RCMs

Last months minutes were accepted with a change to the date.

Motions need to be submitted by 10:45 am

REPORTS

Chairperson

Given by Kat.

- Nothing much to report.
- Secretary resigned, the position is open, please let your areas know.

Vice Chairperson

Given by Chanterelle

- Nothing much to report, filling in as secretary.

Treasurer

Given by Tom.

- Opening Balance: \$30,122.80

OLD BUSINESS

None.

AREA REPORTS

Staten Island

Given by Frank

- Area thanks Kat for coming to the last Area meeting.
- 20 of 26 groups attending area.
- Working out issues with treasurer regarding checks that were not received, wondering if other areas are working this out?
- See report for full details.

Tom L: There was a change in the mail carrier delivering the mail to the RSO Office, that has affected how mail has been delivered, resulting in checks not being received in a timely manner. Kat & I are discussing alternatives to avoid the issue, considering a PO Box so all the mail just goes there. There is also the donate button on the Regional Website, there is a 3% PayPal fee but that this also an option. We will keep you posted.

Brooklyn Area Report

Given by Lenny

- New RCM, will send report after region.

Heart of Long Island Area Report

Given by Martin

- One correction to report: we had 11 not 8 groups in attendance.
- See flyers for upcoming events!
- Literature person has been noticing errors in the price list for ordering literature.

Kings Bay Area

Given by Martha

- Some of the area's checks were not received due to the issue with the mail carrier. Our treasurer will drop them off in person.
- One concern regarding events to the RCMS: please double check the date of events your area is planning so that there is no crossover with other area's events. We would like to attend all events and cannot if they are happening simultaneously! Please make sure to add events to the calendar as soon as you can so that dates can be cross referenced.
- See flyer for event details!

Manhattan

Given by Joel

- Just had elections, see report for open positions, area does not currently have a Chairperson, the Vice Chair is filling in.
- Wants to verify that the treasurer has received the area's insurance payment.
- See flyers for upcoming events!

Kat: Yes, we have the insurance payment.

New York City

Given by Stefan

- Lots of open positions at area, elections happening in May.
- 20 out of 52 GSRs in attendance.
- Successful learning day on April 5.
- See report for full details.

Open Arms Area

Given by Aisha

- 20 out of 30 groups in area in attendance.
- The GSRs and Area chairperson expressed a concern regard the conduct of the BOD Chair, who instructed the chairperson not to give Babette a check to bring to the RSO. There has been slander. This RCM is requesting a member's meeting to address this issue. See report for full details.

Sandra: Thank you for your concern. Babette asked me if I wanted her to mail or bring the check to the RSO, I asked her to mail the check so that we get it as soon as possible, that is why we asked her not to bring the check when she came but to mail it.

Rockland

Given by Caleb

- 18 meetings in area.
- PR & Policy positions have been filled.
- See flyers for upcoming events!

Westchester

Given by Rodney

- 10 GSRs in attendance, considering a more central meeting location so that we can get more GSRs to attend.
- Donation of \$188 to Region.
- Some open positions, see report for full details.
- See flyers for upcoming events!

BOD REPORTS

BOD Chair Report

Given by Al

- Contacted world regarding the group we didn't insure that was using the gray book, and we were told to insure the meeting regardless of their use of it.
- Customers will incur fees when purchasing from the website.
- The Impossible Dream book is in the process of being printed, we wanted it to be available for the convention.
- Regarding the unauthorized use of the credit card: Sandra looked into it and found an additional 7 purchases that totaled \$562.37, including an overdraft fee. Babette stated she was reimbursing herself for ink and paper that she used for regional duties when working from her home, there were no receipts provided and no communication regarding these charges.
- Moving forward we discussed using a debit card instead of a credit card.
- Calling for a Member's Meeting on the last Sunday of the month, so we can answer and address all questions regarding this issue in depth.
- Regarding mail: we weren't receiving mail, I went to the post office to inquire and it seems to be an issue with the mail carrier, we are dealing with it. In the meantime I suggest you use PayPal to make payments and donations.

Stefan: who incurs the fee if we use PayPal?

Al: You incur the fee. This is just one option while the issue with the mail is being sorted out.

Don: 1. Wanted to point out that the RSC donation button is in the webstore. Maybe it should be moved?

2. Regarding the gray book: I noticed you used the word 'investigate' in discussing this matter, want to caution against using such language, we have to be careful about what we do and how we use our words, because we are under no surveillance at any time.

Al: We were not actually investigating, my use of words was out of order, thank you for pointing that out. What happened was we went looking for answers at world and I got educated. I know we are not police and I was just concerned about the insurance.

Tom: You said the board has decided not to use credit cards, do you recall when that was decided upon?

Al: I am not sure, I will follow up on that and let you know/

Tom: We will work with web servant to try to move donation button out of the webstore. On the button it says you can pay via PayPal or debit card, I am wondering if fees are incurred if you just use a debit card to make a donation? Regarding the PayPal fee, NA pays the fee. For example if you don't \$400, we receive \$387.

Aisha: 1. We (Open Arms) are struggling with trusted servants, that was why we gave the check to Babette to bring to the RSO.

2. Regarding the gray book, the reason Open Arms did not accept that specific meeting was that we had a previous issue where we were taken to court because there was a meeting using all sorts of non-NA literature and telling newcomers what to do with their medication.

3. I am wondering if you are going to address the issue in my report regarding your conduct? Can we please just resolve this issue with Babette.

Al: we are having a Member's Meeting so that we can get to all of these issues.

BOD Treasurer's Report

Given by Sandra

- Checks and Money orders do not incur fees, just letting everyone know that.
- Re unauthorized spending: I looked at the last two years; in 2023 everything was fine, and then starting March 2024 I found 8 unauthorized charges. I have asked for receipts for the charges to be brought to the group at the next Member's Meeting.
- No money is missing from the bank accounts.
- See report for full details

Tom: Thank you for your service. In the next spreadsheet you sen out, can you kindly let us know what specifically each charge or check is for? Given all the sensitivities with the funds, I am wondering if you can provide that specificity to the RSC.

Sandra: I can, if you look at the bank statements, you can see what the checks are for, but I can certainly add it to the next spreadsheet. Also, I was the one who brought up in the Members Meeting that no spending should be done with the credit card.

Convention Report

Given by Alphonso (Vice Chair)

- Current bank account balance as of yesterday is approximately \$28,000.
- Hotel rooms still selling fast, we are at 82% of the room block, expect to fill it out and perhaps ask for more rooms.
- 800 registrants.
- See report for full details.

Aisha: Have you started to receive merchandise packets for registration?

Alphonso: I do not believe the committee has designed what the packages will look like yet, it is usually done later. Thank you.

Tom: Regarding the Times Square event, were you planning on asking the Regional PR to participate in the event?

Alphonso: Aside from the actual dancing part, the whole idea is to have a PI table as a promotional thing for NA, to let people know that we can recover. Aside from the DJ the only other table will be a PI one. I will reach out to the PR chair and to other PI committees in the Region.

Tom: What is the impact if you don't sell the 300 tickets to the pasta dinner? If only 100 tickets are sold, does the committee have to pay the hotel?

Alphonso: Yes. It will have a financial impact on the committee, we hope to be able to pull it off, we have seen other conventions do so.

Tom: I go to meetings in Riverdale and I haven't seen a convention flier yet, are there efforts to put them out?

Alphonso: I have been looking up areas' addresses to send out fliers. I sent out the info to a member in the Philippines and now we have about 30 registrants from there.

Joel: Many people are asking about registration confirmation. How are members who bought registration checking in? There seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding this.

Alphonso: Registrants will check in with their names at the time of the convention.

Bob: You could hand off the responsibility for the PR committee to me, I think we should discuss this offline but I am happy to help. I feel PR should have input on this and I can help.

Alphonso: Yes we can talk about it offline.

Al L.: When we send out the area literature orders, we put fliers and medallions for the convention in their orders.

SUBCOMMITTEE REPORTS

RD Team Report

Given by Maurice

- Attended NESSNA.
- CAR input form deadline is May 20th.
- See report for full details.

POLICY

~~THIS POSITION IS VACANT PLEASE LET YOUR AREAS KNOW~~

Helpline/BMLT (Basic Meeting List Toolkit)

Given by Maureen O.

BMLT:

- There are some qualifications for being a meeting list administrator, please ensure that your candidates are capable of doing the commitment.
- Have been cleaning up issues, please make sure the addresses on your meetings are the legal postal ones.
- Some meetings still have Covid restrictions, please make sure this is all up to date.
- 555 meetings in total.

Tom: On the issue of temporary closure, it is my understanding, if a meeting is published as a temporary closure it is still counted for insurance. Is this correct?

Maureen: Unpublished meetings are not insured.

Helpline:

- 1,226 calls year to date.
- 39 members on committee.
- People are having issues understand option 1 on the helpline. It is the option that tells you and texts you the 5 closest meetings to where you are.
- People have been calling regarding the convention, we direct them to who they should call.
- If a meeting is closed for any reason, even for one day, let us know so we can tell people who call.

Calendar

- Anything you submit will be posted on the website and calendar.

Aisha: Thank you for your service, our policy chair was very impressed by you.

Maureen: Thank you.

Joel: thank you for your service. When members are calling in saying they don't understand how to use option 1, what is the issue? Is there an issue with the prompt?

Maureen: It is very clear, they just don't understand what option 1 is.

Sandra: Are people calling regarding registration for the convention?

Maureen: Yes.

Martha: We should put out a flyer explaining option 1.

Hospitals & Institutions

Given by Roy

- See report for full details.
- Meeting next week.
- 5 areas and the Mobile unit represented at region.
- Hard to get an accurate account of how many meetings we have monthly when only half of the areas are attending the region.

Stefan: NYC Area H&I has it in the policy that it is the chairperson's responsibility to attend region, should other areas update their policy?

Roy: I am certain it's in almost all the policies.

Public Information

Given by Bob

- GNYR PI did a tabling event at City-as-School.
- Attended NEZF Public Relations and NEZF Ad-hoc meeting that is planning an event at the convention.
- Regional policy states the committee should meet once a month but bimonthly has been working for us.
- Sends his condolences to Shane D.'s family and honors his service.
- See report for full details

Webmaster

Given by Eugene

- RSO, tell me what fee you want me to add to the literature orders.
- It's really important for things like the One Password account get paid, we ran into an issue where we missed a payment and I am working out how to get the password back and to get that account reinstated.

Kat: We can set up a direct deposit with the account so this doesn't happen again during a transitional period.

Al: Who pays for one password?

Eugene: RSO. I need to regain access to be able to make a payment.

Tom: Thank you. I want to make sure there is no crossover for contributions made to the RSC with the RSO, can we move the PayPal button out of the webstore and put it on the RSC website?

Eugene: I can definitely do that.

Treasury Report & Closing Balance

Given by Tom L.

- Expenses for March to May: \$10,368.62

- As previously stated we are having a bit of a timing issue we are trying to sort out. Areas are making donations and payments to us that are not being received in a timely manner due to the post office issue, so those payments and donations will be reflected in the July treasurer's report.
- Operating balance: 22,157.87, minus prudent reserve, video equipment and NEZF donation. Closing balance: \$13,307.87, recommends a \$3,000 donation to NAWS

Maureen: Every time we get a new treasurer, my services are interrupted.

Tom: I hear you, we will discuss this at admin and make sure that there is no gap in coverage during periods of transition.

NEW BUSINESS

Aisha: Motion to donate \$3,000 to NAWS. Frank seconded. **Motion passes by acclamation.**

Kat recognizes Babette to discuss registration issues:

Registration

Babette

- Your confirmation email is your receipt.
- We apologize for the three blasts sent out that confirmed your registration three times. If you have an issue with registration you can contact Babette at registration@newyorkna.org.
- On the day of the convention we will have a spreadsheet that confirms your registration through name.
- It was my understanding that the RSO was paying for Twilio, not the RSC .

Joel: Sometimes for events we want to raffle off and gift the registration, how would you recommend a committee purchase a registration that is intended to be raffled off?

Babette: Let me know that you are having the event, and I will change the name to the person who won. I note in the comments of my spreadsheet that an area purchased the registration for raffling purposes.

Kat: 1. Regarding the Member's Meeting requested by Open Arms, we will send out a doodle poll to see which times work for everyone. Aisha would like to have the meeting as soon as possible. The Member's Meeting requested by AI will be organized separately. For clarity there will be two Member's Meetings; one requested by Open Arms regarding conduct and policy, and another requested by AI regarding misappropriation of funds.

2. Please see the budgets for the subcommittees attached in the email blast to bring back to your Areas to be voted on. You can find the document in the "RSC/RSO Reports" section.

3. We received a Motion from the New York City Area:

"To have the RSC ensure the RSO provides the following:

- Written RSO financial report for the past 4 months
- Convention committee's financial report, including
 1. What is the current # of rooms that have been reserved.
 2. What is "breakeven" number of rooms.
 3. Any other convention related financials
- A written report or statement detailing why financial reports have not been given for the past 4 months

Intent: Gain understanding of RSO and convention financial status in spirit of Concept 11."

Aisha seconds the motion.

Alphonso: Wasn't this all just covered in the report I gave? This motion feels moot.

Joel: That report went out yesterday, that motion came in at the NYC Area last month when we had no idea what was going on, the previous ones were not like that. We are just looking for accountability. A list is not a report.

Stefan: We are just looking for consistency.

Kat: We can take it to a vote.

7 yea 0 nay 0 abstentions **Motion passes.**
(1 RCM had to leave and Quorum at this point was 8)

SHARING SESSION

Aisha: I am appalled that I would bring an issue to this body that it would be so minimized. I would not bring this type of information to this body if it did not occur. I am insulted.

Babette: Thank you for providing me with a listening ear, I needed to say that in a different forum because I was not being recognized by the board. On behalf of the Open Arms Area, I am also being denied what conversations I've had with AI. So this is a pattern

Sandra: The last thing I want to do is hurt anybody. The fact of the matter is that this started in August, it didn't start with AI. There are \$562 in unauthorized charges. You have a lot of comments, Babette, you have yelled at me multiple times in multiple business meetings, if you don't agree with me it's ok. We will discuss this in the business meeting. We need receipts. We need to see what was bought.

Peter: I served this region for 35 years and I have a love for it. I don't have a voice here so I come to see what's going on. I totally agree with what Alphonso said we are totally better than this to go in to all of this. During convention committee report I didn't hear a single word about the programming committee this region has had problems with programming for a long time. There has been no vetting process for the people who speak. The spirit of rotation doesn't look to that. We need to give people the opportunity to share and make sure we are. Not getting the same old circuit speakers that we have been getting over and over again.

Don: I want to say that this meeting has changed my spirit in a way that it seems like there have been more personal attacks than principles. This concerns me with things going forward. I hope this can be resolved and not held on to. We need to focus on what our purpose is. We should not address personal grievances on the floor.

Alphonso: In the report there is the Programming Committee information: the date and time and you can go on and attend.

Lenny: I am also the serenity keeper at the convention, I will be submitting my flyer for serenity keepers so we can get them from all 12 areas.

Meeting closed at 1:26 pm.